A to Z

Useful areas

Council Tax Benefit

What is it?   Who is it for?  How is it worked out?   What should I do next?

What is it?

Council Tax Benefit helps pay towards or covers your council tax bill, whether you rent or own your home, or live rent-free.

to top

Who is it for?

People on low income who pay council tax may be entitled to help. The introduction of Pension Credit means many more pensioners now qualify for Council Tax Benefit for the first time. But you do not have to be receiving Pension Credit or other benefits to be eligible.

to top

How is it worked out?

The council will look at the money you and your partner have coming in as well as your savings. The council will also look at your other circumstances such as your age and whether anyone else lives with you. With this information the council will work out if you qualify for Council Tax Benefit. If you can get Council Tax Benefit, this will not affect the amount of money you receive in other benefits.

to top

What should I do next?

Claim straight away - Council Tax Benefit is available now.

If you claim Pension Credit, Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance you
will get a form to claim Council Tax Benefit with your application.

If you do not claim one of these, you can get a Council Tax Benefit claim form from the Department for Work and Pensions website.

You can also get a claim form from your local council. Their phone number and address are in the business numbers section of the phone book, or visit their website for more information.

Find your local council on the IRRV housing benefits website
Find out more about Pension Credit
Contact The Pension Service

Send this page to a friend  |  to top