I am retired...
Time to make your money work for you

Useful areas

Social services

Social services can help you continue to live independently in your own home. If appropriate, they can also advise you on moving into sheltered housing or a care home.

Social services are provided by your local council. They will discuss your needs with you and, if you are eligible, they will give you a care plan. This plan will set out details of the help you will receive. You may have to contribute to the cost of some services.

Social services can provide or arrange a range of services including delivering meals-on-wheels and home help, day care, respite care, support for carers, and temporary or permanent admission to a care home. Increasingly, social services professionals work closely with health professionals such as doctors and nurses, in assessing your needs and planning your care.

For more information, you should contact your local social services department. You can find the address and phone number in the phone book under Local government or on the Direcgtov website. Your doctor's surgery, local advice centre or library may also be able to help.

You can also find more information about social services on the Department of Health website.

Send this page to a friend  |  to top