I am retired...
Time to make your money work for you

Useful areas

Health and social services in Scotland

If you are disabled or a carer, you can find information about extra money you may be able to get in the Money & tax section of this website.

Free personal and nursing care
NHS 24(Scotland): phone 08454 24 24 24

If you live in a care home and are aged 65 or over, there will be no change if your costs are already being paid by the social work service.

People aged 65 and over who have enough money to fund their own care and have been assessed by their local authority as needing personal care are entitled to £145 a week. Those who have also been assessed as needing nursing care are entitled to £210 a week. If you decide to receive the £145, you will no longer be eligible to receive Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance. If you have been receiving either of these benefits and you decide to receive the £145, you must let the Department for Work and Pensions know on 08457 12 34 56.

If you live at home

If you think you need personal care, you should ask your local authority to carry out a care needs assessment. You will not have to pay for any personal care you are assessed as needing. If you are already receiving services which include personal care, the local authority will not charge for the personal care part after 1 July 2002.

For general information and a copy of our leaflet Free Personal and Nursing Care from 1 July 2002 - What does it mean for you? contact the NHS 24 (Scotland) Helpline on 08454 24 24 24. You can also find copies at your doctor's surgery or library.

To discuss your needs and to apply for free personal or nursing care or both, you should contact your local social work services. For your nearest office look in the phone book under Local government.

Send this page to a friend  |  to top