Winter Fuel Payments

Useful areas

More help

Staying warm

If you are over 60 and on a qualifying benefit, you may be entitled to free insulation and heating improvements to make your home warmer and more energy-efficient through the Warm Front scheme. Find out more about the Warm Front scheme on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website

You could save money on your bills by using energy more efficiently. The Energy Saving Trust's Save Energy website tells you all you need to know. Some energy-saving measures will cost you nothing, and you can search for energy efficiency grants on their website to help meet other costs. Visit the Save Energy website.
Search for energy efficiency grants on the Save Energy website

You may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment during periods of very cold weather. The Pension Service website has more information on Cold Weather Payments. Cold Weather Payments are not the same as Winter Fuel Payments.

Staying healthy

Keep Warm, Keep Well on the Department of Health website has a range of materials and information to help you keep warm and well in winter. You can also call the Winter Warmth advice line free of charge on 0800 085 7000 to get advice and information or for copies of the Keep Warm Keep Well guide. Lines are open from 1 October 2004, from 8.00am to 8.00pm, Monday to Friday. A service for texphone users is available on 0800 085 7857.

Free flu immunisation
If you are aged 65 or over, in a special risk group, you can make an appointment with your GP to get your free flu jab in October or November - before flu usually reaches the UK - to give yourself the best possible protection.

to top

Other help available

Pension Credit could mean extra money every week for people aged 60 and over. Find out about Pension Credit.

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help with your Council Tax bill through Council Tax Benefit. Find out about Council Tax Benefit.

Direct Payment is now the normal way that state pensions and benefits are paid. this means that we pay your money directly into the account you choose. Find out more about Direct Payment.

The Pensioners' guide is a free guide to the range of government help and advice services available for people aged 60 or over. You can find the Pensioners' guide from our resource centre.

You can get more information about help and support available across Government in the section for retired people.

to top

About The Pension Service

In 2002 the Government set up The Pension Service, which is part of the Department for Work and Pensions. Find out more about who we are on The Pension Service website in the About us section.

Planning ahead for retirement? The Pension Service website has a section which tells you how the basic State Pension works, and about the different second pensions options.

If you are approaching retirement, The Pension Service site also tells you about your State Pension and how you should go about claiming it. It has information on reviewing your finances, so you have a good idea of the money you will have to live on in retirement. It also tells you about the extra government support you could get if you should need it.

to top

Related links

Age Concern provides local services and information for older people and carers. It is also in touch with thousands of older people enabling them to make more of life. Find out more on the Age Concern website.

Send this page to a friend  |  to top